By Andrew Martinez
Furnishing your home can be stressful and expensive, especially when you are on a budget. But with the continual movement around COVID, there are lots of great deals you can find for any apartment on Facebook Marketplace and Craiglist.
Yes, you grew up with the Internet and social media, so you’ve heard of these websites before, but have you looked recently?
Apartment Deals in Brooklyn
Here are just a few of the great deals we found online with little effort.
- Facebook Marketplace: IKEA 8-drawer dresser (Black) listed at $150, originally $249
- Facebook Marketplace: IKEA sectional couch/pull out bed listed at $200, Originally $600
- Facebook Marketplace: Green microfiber couch originally listed at $150, currently FREE
- Craigslist: IKEA Four cubby bookcase listed at $75
- Craigslist: IKEA bench with shoe storage listed at $20, originally $50 plus tax and shipping
- Craigslist: King sized mattress listed at $150 or best offer, originally $390
Etsy for Unique, Inexpensive Furnishings
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods from small, independent businesses around the world. Many pieces on Etsy are sold by creative entrepreneurs whose pieces can’t be found anywhere else.
Here are some unique pieces at great prices that we found from a quick search:
- Amazing Ottoman Pouffe made of Moroccan leather priced at $60
- Handmade Rustic Coffee Table priced at $253
- Customized White Oak Floating Shelf priced at $70
- Set of 3 Tree Ring Prints at $200+
How to Find Best Deals on Facebook Marketplace
First off, everything is negotiable. If you see a dresser or couch you like but it’s outside your budget, make a better offer. Just remember if you go too low, you might alienate the seller and lose out on the deal.
The best deals can be found at the end of the month as leases end. So if you’re not in a rush for furniture, wait till the last day of the month and see what you can get.
Here are some examples of last-minute deals we found:
A brown leather recliner priced at $250, originally $700, and a dresser and desk for $50 each.
Craigslist Overlooked for Furniture Deals
People have been selling furniture on Craiglist since 1995, and with the newer online competition, it’s often overlooked.
Many people who aren’t on Facebook will turn to Craigslist to sell their furnishings. And since the marketplace is smaller, you might find even better deals.
We found a moving sale that offered items ranging from a four-seat sectional listed at $400 originally $899 to a bookshelf listed at $20. Click here to see those listings.
Another moving sale on craigslist is offering a living room set complete with sofas, recliner, table, and rug for $100. For the complete listing click here.
Just remember, be smart about any purchase. Make sure you don’t go alone to any apartment and don’t send cash until you’ve seen the item. And if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is – just in case you see an original Picasso painting for sale.